Adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe.
Onion dip for chips
Recipe type: appetizer
Rich, creamy onion dip. Not your mother's dry-soup dip.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb sweet onion (about 1 large, chopped small)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vinegar (white or red wine, cider)
- 1/2 teaspoon horseradish
- 1/4 cup fresh chives (chopped)
- Heat oil in large skillet.
- Add onions and garlic.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring often until golden brown (careful; after a certain point they'll burn quickly).
- Let onion mixture cool for a bit.
- In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
- Add onions. Adjust seasonings as desired.
- Chill for several hours to allow flavors to meld.
- Serve with chips or vegetables.