I’ve researched and made a lot of different chocolate cakes, including a wedding cake and recipes from Cook’s Illustrated, and I still like this cake better, and it’s extremely easy to make.
This must be a depression-era recipe because it uses no eggs or butter and I’ve seen lots of variations and lots of different names. This one is from one of my grandmas. Makes a moist, dark, chocolate cake, albeit not as rich or deep as more complicated chocolate cake recipes. Easy to make because you mix it all together in the baking pan.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- few drop red food coloring (makes it look rich and dark)
- Dump dry ingredients into a 9 x 13 pan.
- Mix well.
- Stir in wet ingredients until most lumps disappear. Batter will be very runny.
- Bake at 350 for 30–35 minutes.