This is an old recipe that produces cookies with a deep, rich flavor. Good for Christmas.
Molasses Sugar Cookies
- 1-1/2 cup shortening (melted and allowed to cool)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pour melted shortening into mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, molasses, and egg and beat well.
- Add flour, baking soda, cloves, ginger, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
- Chill dough for a few hours.
- Roll chilled dough into 1" balls. Roll balls in sugar. Coarse sugar, like demerara, is especially good.
- Place balls 2" apart on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 10 – 15 minutes. They should have flattened somewhat, with a crackled surface. They will cool to slightly chewy, with crisper edges. If you want the whole cookie to be crispy, bake a little longer.
- Let cool on pan for a few minutes.