Classic soft, white cookie. Great for summer.
- 1 cup shortening (I use part butter, but using only butter will make them dry and crumbly)
- 1-1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (or 1 teaspoon lemon extract)
- 2-3/4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar (to roll cookies in)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (to roll cookies in)
- Cream together shortening and sugar.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla or lemon extract.
- Mix in dry ingredients.
- Roll into 1-inch balls.
- Combine 2 tablespoons sugar with 2 teaspoons cinnamon in a shallow bowl.
- Roll dough in cinnamon and sugar to coat.
- Place on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart
- Bake at 400° for 8 – 10 minutes, until barely golden. Don't over-bake.