From a church cookbook whose covers have long since disappeared. I don’t like rhubarb and have never made or tasted this, but Captain OCD makes it often during rhubarb season and everyone who likes rhubarb loves this.
Tart, sweet, crumbly rhubarb crisp.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1-1/2 cups oatmeal
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup cold butter (cut into chunks)
- 5 cups rhubarb (chopped about 1/2")
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tblsp cornstarch
Topping (and bottom)
- Mix together brown sugar, flour, oatmeal, and cinnamon.
- Cut in butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Press half of mixture into a buttered 9 x 13 pan.
- Cover crumbly mix in bottom of pan with rhubarb.
- Cook sugar, cornstarch, and water until thick. Microwave works well for this.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour over rhubarb.
- Cover with remaining topping mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 45 – 60 minutes, or until rhubarb is tender.