Tuna Ring with Cheese Sauce
Kind of a lot of work for a main dish made of tuna, but delicious.
- 2 cans tuna (drained)
- 1/2 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 egg (slightly beaten – reserve 2 tablespoons)
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheese (shredded)
- dash prepared mustard
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the beaten egg
- Mix together remaining egg, tuna, onion, cheese, celery salt, & dill
- Mix together flour, baking powder, & salt.
- Cut in shortening until it forms pea-sized lumps.
- Add milk, mix together until it's all mixed up nicely.
- Melt butter on medium power of microwave.
- Stir flour into melted butter until all lumps are gone. Cook on high power for about a minute.
- Stir milk into flour and butter mixture.
- Heat on high power until it's boiling and thickens, stopping to stir every minute.
- Stir in cheese and mustard.
- Heat on medium power until cheese is melted, stirring every minute or so.
- Roll dough into 10 x 15 rectangle.
- Spread tuna mixture evenly over dough.
- Roll up dough/tuna lengthwise (you'll end up with a roll 15" long).
- Pinch the seam and the ends so the tuna mixture doesn't spill out
- Place the roll on a baking sheet, seam-side down, in a crescent shape. Slash the top of the roll diagonally every couple of inches.
- Brush with reserved beaten egg.
- Bake at 375° for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Cut & serve with cheese sauce.