After tasting this at a Fourth of July gathering, my father-in-law told me I was not welcome at any future events unless I brought this. Add all seasonings and blue cheese to taste.
Go to the recipe
Make the dressing first so it has time for the flavors to meld a bit.
If you have time and haven’t bought a bag of shredded cabbage, shred the cabbage, put it in a colander, and sprinkle it with a generous amount of salt. Place the colander on a plate and let it sit, up to overnight (in the refrigerator), to remove some of the moisture in the cabbage.
Dump all of the dressing ingredients in a mixing bowl. In this case, an 8-cup Pyrex measuring cup, which is one of the best mixing bowls ever made.
Mix up all the dressing ingredients, then taste and adjust for seasoning. Remember to go easy on the salt if you’ve salted the cabbage to remove moisture.
Now start the salad part. Grate a head of cabbage and an apple.
Dump the grated cabbage and apple into a mixing bowl.
Chop up the green onion and cilantro. Pretty sure this is why pizza cutters were invented.
Add the green onion and cilantro to the cabbage and apple mixture and toss together.
Add the dressing to the cabbage mixture and mix together.
- 1 head cabbage (shredded or chopped)
- 1 bunch green onions (chopped)
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 apple (chopped)
- 1-1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons horseradish sauce (or 1 teaspoon of grated horseradish)
- 4 oz. blue cheese (or Gorgonzola)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- chili powder (to taste)
- crushed garlic or garlic powder (to taste)
- ground pepper (to taste)
- Mix the dressing ingredients together and let sit until you have the slaw mixture ready.
- Grate or chop cabbage. If making ahead, sprinkle a generous amount of salt over the shredded cabbage, let sit for an hour or more (overnight is good) in a colander over a plate, then gently press and drain off excess liquid (salad spinner works if the cabbage isn't grated too small). If you use this method (I suggest you do), adjust salt in recipe according to taste.
- Add onions, cilantro, and apple to cabbage, mix well.
- Add some of the dressing to the cabbage mixture and combine. Because cabbage heads vary so much in size, hold back some of the dressing to determine if you need it all.
Back to top