But one variation of the ubiquitous salad found at every church potluck in the 60s and 70s.
Layered lettuce salad
The idea here is layers, so choose whatever sounds good to you. Chopped up water chestnuts are a nice addition. If I make this in a deep bowl, I make more dressing and make two sets of layers, with dressing in between the two sets.
- 1 head lettuce
- 1 pkg. frozen peas
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb. sliced bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
- 1/4 cup green peppers, diced
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese, plus a little more for garnish
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tblsp sugar
- splash of lemon juice
- Tear lettuce and place in a large, see-through glass bowl.
- Layer ingredients in order given.
- Combine sugar and mayonnaise; spread mixture on top of salad.
- Sprinkle with more cheese.
- Refrigerate overnight.