Long-time favorite from my mother-in-law’s recipe collection. Whenever this is served, without fail someone asks for the recipe.
Spinach Bacon Salad
- 2 lb fresh spinach
- 2 heads red leaf lettuce
- 1/2 lb bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tblsp grated (not chopped, you want the juice) onion
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cup small-curd cottage cheese
- Tear spinach and lettuce.
- Toss together.
- Combine all ingredients except cottage cheese and shake well.
- Add half of cottage cheese and shake again.
- Just before serving, toss together dressing with greens, remaining cottage cheese, and bacon.