Adapted from the 1995 Neiman Marcus cookbook No Jacket Required. Very rich and really good for special occasions.
Recipe type: vegetable
Rich, creamy, delicious side dish for special occasions.
- 2 sweet onions (chopped in large chunks)
- 1 lb broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder (or to taste)
- 2/3 cups milk (sometimes I use part sour cream)
- 3 oz cream cheese (cubed)
- Sauté onions and broccoli until onions are almost soft. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine Parmesan, mayonnaise, garlic powder, and lemon juice.
- Toss in onions and broccoli and mix together gently.
- Place mixture into a casserole dish.
- Melt butter; blend in flour, salt, curry powder, and milk.
- Cook until thick, stirring every minute or so. I do this in the microwave. If you use the stove, stir constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in cream cheese until melted.
- Spoon over broccoli mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350º for 20–30 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.
The original recipe is for broccoli-stuffed onions, which was a lot of work and harder to eat. Over time, we added the curry powder, garlic powder, fresh instead of frozen broccoli, and the preparation method. Also good with nutmeg instead of curry powder.